Another diesel project? Lyd2 in 009...

Worsley Works scratch aid kits have proven to be a very good way to find my way in to 009, and I've enjoyed building two kits in the past. These have both used the excellent Kato N gauge tram chassis. I had concerns over other kits in Allen's extensive range because of the lack of a chassis to go with them.

Those that follow my large scale blog will have seen I built a Romanian built Lxd2 this year. A superb kit with real presence... I had originally pondered building one in HOe but didn't want to start modelling in another scale. Whilst pondering the HOe model I'd stumbled upon the Worsley Works Lyd2 kit - developed based upon the trio that exist on the Welsh Highland Railway at Porthmadog.

Those that haven't heard of the Lyd2 before, it's an 0-6-0 jackshaft driven diesel hydraulic narrow gauge locomotive used on forestry and industrial lines in Poland, further details and a complete roster here: http://www.tabor.wask.pl/egzemplarze.php?&id=465



However, this kit didn't have a chassis, and no obvious source of one from an N gauge ready-to-run mechanism...

So imagine my delight earlier in the year when I stumbled upon Stuart Brewer's website offering a kit for the chassis 'coming soon'. Further contact with Stuart suggested this would be sometime in the Autumn, and I've been talking to him recently with the hope of getting me a test chassis to build up and review sometime before Christmas!

Here are some photos of his first test of the chassis etch - I'll be trialling the tweaked Mk2 design. I intend to use a Mashima open frame motor and flywheel, and will be using 10.5mm disc wheels. The gearbox is supplied with the kit.



More to come soon, when I have confirmation on a delivery date, and I start to source the components not provided in the kit, along with a Worsley Works body shell kit. Below are a few photos of Stuart's own model...



Comments

  1. UPDATE: Body kit, wheels, motor, axles and bearings now ordered... just waiting the chassis parts later this year now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Do you know if this chassis etch is still available? The link to Stuart's site is broken. Very nice blog and proiject. I would like to replicate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it was a one off - I offer a custom chassis for this body kit, available as a commission build. If you're interested then use the contact form to get in touch.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.