Porthgain in 009: cylinder trials...

I don't think this loco has featured before on my blog but it's been very slowly progressing since Christmas...
It's an Andrew Barclay locomotive, based on Porthgain which was a 2ft 8in loco, so think a bigger version of Doll. However I'm building in 009, and using the Graham Farish 04 chassis, so I've shrunk it a little but retained it's inside framing.

The boiler and basic cab structure are attached to a footplate and I've started building up the cylinders and cross head assembly from RT models. The prototype was lined in a dark colour, I expect black, so mine will also be quite austere but capture a little of the Victorian era rather like Rheneas rather than my later locomotives. The idea is it can be used on Creech Bottom, but one day may get it's own little diorama as I've always wanted to build a model of Porthgain quarry. More soon...

Comments