Gamecock in 009: chassis finished...

Well nearly finished! I took a deep breath today and set myself the target of finishing the chassis on my Small Run Batch Peckett...
That meant sorting out the connecting rods and cross heads. After the disaster last time I had this lot out (when I soldered them up solid) I was a little wary but with patience and some thicker paper I have successfully put these together and got them sliding nicely in the 3D printed cylinders and etched slide bars.
With that stress over I then had to solder a washer into the front crank pin and then file down the crank pin to just 20thou as there is hardly any clearance in the valve gear. This almost ended in disaster when after being cut down and filed flat the washer decided to come off the first side! Sweat words and a deep breathe I tried again and a quick dab of the soldering iron put it back on without too much drama. Second side was easier!
Then I fitted the assemblies to the chassis and soldered on the nut on the rear crank pin. Somehow I still have a free running chassis that turns over by hand without any binding! Next up there are a few small details to add to the chassis and test fit the motor and try it under it's own power - more soon...

Comments