NGSW 2017: Grindley Brook Wharf on the road...

Tim and I were honoured to be invited to exhibit his layout, Grindley Brook Wharf, this past weekend at the 25th and final Narrow Gauge South West exhibition in Shepton Mallet...

Over 60 layouts and plenty of trade support and over 1000 visitors made it a busy day - and for Tim and I travelling from central London a long and tiring one. However we had an awesome day, so much fun and lovely to meet new and old friends. Thanks to Tom for helping operate for an hour, and to Harry who showed us some of his lovely Corris inspired models - and whom was a sponge for advice and encouragement - I look forward to seeing more of his models soon... Anyway, I'll try and caption these photos as I go - I've turned a number black and white to better show the character and atmosphere.
First here is the Black Hawthorn I've been building designed around images and ideas from Brian Clarke's lovely 15" 5mm gauge examples. Pictured with a timber load and small work mans carriage both also inspired by his writing and sat at the Wharf...
The same train in colour...
The scratch built loco pauses before heading back...
Tim's photo backscene is close to the rear of the board but as it's slightly soft focus is it as effective as the one I use on Creech Bottom.
I spent a little time talking to Paul Windle and seeing his layout - he was kind enough to show me the construction techniques. A lovely layout and full of character...
A passenger train arrives in the station...
Whilst a stone train comes down into the loop...
Wonderful colouring and I love how Paul has detailed the track.
The Peco stand had a production version of the forthcoming Heljan Manning Wardle - absolutely beautiful, and I can't wait for mine to arrive on the slow boat from China.
I've wanted to see Gordon and Maggie Gravett's wonderful French masterpiece, Pempoul, so I was very excited to see it on the program... It's a true work of art, the scenic work is wonderful - the palette and the quality of modelling truly exceptional and a strength of modelling I am striving to achieve.
Photos like these show just how realistic the model is - absolutely jaw droopingly good.
Just look at the yellow moss along the ridge tile here - I don't know how they did it but it's amazingly good - the closet you look the more you see, not of silly cameos, but of the depth and quality of the modelling.
One last shot - the fact that many of these show no trains - that's part of the magic of a good layout.
I had also longed to see Charmouth and Bridport for a long time so that was a real treat as well, the subtle use of colour, and the gently undulating landscape are remarkable...
Charmouth is slightly older, but is a lovely rural back water and could be a GWR branchline when you look at it!
The engine shed area at Bridport and the famous puddles, and the water in the tank looks real too...
I love the simplicity of the model and how it is finished to a consistently high standard.
Vale Quarry in 009 is tiny yet wonderfully composed.
The cars are a nice touch and toned down, I like the subtle touches like the dust on the tyres, you don't notice things like that at first but they build the more you watch.
The engine shed and the gate - the gate opens just before a train appears. Magic...
Finally a few more from Grindley Brook Wharf. The Barclayfication stayed on display in the engine shed for a lot of the show as people wanted to see it who'd bought the kit from Narrow Planet.
The Bagnall ISTs got a heavy work out (more later)...
My SRB Peckett performed well and looks at home at the end of the wharf on the short freight train, newly named 'Goathorn' for my Purbeck layout...
A trio of ISTs... my scratchbuild (Minitrains krauss chassis), Tim's scratchbuild (also MT Krauss) and  Tim's much modified Minitrains version...
A kind chap brought a lightly modified version of the Minitrains Bagnall over so we did a line up of all four...
and here you can see just how much Tim has cut out of the cab, along with the small drop of the footplate.
The last shot is Tim's wonderful Minitrains Baldwin - the cab has been increased in height, and the tanks bulked up in height and thickness - and he's given it a wonderful Penryhn inspired lining scheme.

So a great show and not enough time really to see all the exhibits. I hope everyone had a good time - and I look forward to seeing more photos of the show as the days progress... More soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James
    Thanks for letting me have a go on the layout. I have built a loco based on your techniques you used to build Quintus by the way. http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18284-harrys-oo9-workbench/page-5

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.