Evening with an old friend...

One of those rare occasions when Tim and myself were both free, both in the same part of the world, and both had our 006.5 collections together...

It was great to catch up and see some of his larger projects, but these photos are exclusively of our collective minimum gauge models, comparing our work, and techniques. It is good to bounce off other modellers, I find it re-energises me for the subject, and challenges my own ambitions. It also sparks off new ideas, and discussion - I just wish we lived a little closer together sometimes...
First of all a line up of our (nearly finished) Heywood 15" gauge prototypes, from L-R we have the prototype top wagon (forthcoming model through Narrow Planet), Tim's Heywood Effie (unpowered), my Heywood Katie and Tim's Heywood inspired box tank. They all looked very much at home together, and we both discussed our long term ambition of a decent layout to stretch their legs on - and the pros and cons of the Busch feldbahn track system!
Here we compare the unpowered Effie with the powered and larger Katie. Tim's tiny model is equisite, I can't wait to see it finished, lined and with name plates! It is marvellous, and very free running so should be no problem to use as a double header, or with a powered wagon.
Here the Katie (Alex) is compared with Tim's larger pseudo 0-6-0 box tank. This looks lovely, very nicely finished, although a little ungainly compared to Heywood's more classic balanced lines of the other engines. Both of these use the Busch NS2f chassis.
I've given Tim a complete set of parts to build his own 'Katie', however before I'd done this he'd made a start on his own version in plasticard - which is charming, if not quite so precise. Very much in Tim's style! The chassis on his is a Deutz from Busch, which doesn't have the balance weights on the fly cranks, so he may swap this if he continues the build. It's a mental model, whereas I removed just the front of the motor mounting, to fit the smokebox and boiler section, Tim has removed all of it. Originally hoping to have a completely clear cab, but alas, it doesn't quite fit. Still his completely scratchbuilt body looks great.
We then turn to the larger 18"/50cm gauge prototypes. L-R my scratchbuilt freelance Hunslet, Tim's freelance 0-6-0, and the forthcoming 6point5 Avonside that will be released through Narrow Planet later in the year/2018.
Tim's freelance 0-6-0 is based on the Busch NS2 chassis, with centre jack-shaft, that fools the eye a touch that it's an 0-6-0, and the outline is inspired by 'Spirit of Adventure', an Exmoor 15" engine from Perrygrove. Tim is not sure if he'll finish it, it was more a test/proof of concept. It needs a taller chimney, possibly a better dome, and the roof modifying and a wrapper adding to increase the length and extend the width.
Tim has also modified a Busch Decauville into a pseudo 006.5 model by cutting off the Busch roof, and adding a 4mm scale 'plantation' style canopy. This looks tall compared to my Hunslet and Avonside as both of these have dropped roof plates. The lining is very neat indeed, and it looks lovely in a maroon livery. It will be finished off I think, but is too large for our Heywood estate railway... perhaps we need to build a 50cm pleasure line too?!
Tim has also built a tramway coach (I must find my etches) using the Worsley Works scratch aid parts for the Corris tramway - these are quite neat, but not very clear on how to assemble, but Tim's done a great job - this is mounted on a Marklin Z-gauge wagon chassis and is too wide for the Heywood items, more akin to the Decauville (similar height but wider). It would look great in 009... perhaps more on that soon with my version!
My own 'estate railway' 18" gauge stock (the van and open) show how much taller Tim's Decauville is compared to the Hunslet, but also how little my brake van is!
Finally, Tim has been building up a Ruston Proctor from my 6point5 kit (available currently through Narrow Planet) - a slightly lighter green, and a neat job so far!

It was great to catch up, and we both reflected how much of a buzz it is to chat about our models and share ideas - it's given me some renewed enthusiasm, so I plan to crack on with my estate micro in the coming weeks, as well as push the Heywood box wagons over the line to a product we can market through Narrow Planet!

More soon...

Comments

  1. James, do you have a "better" explanation of this interesting scale you are working in? I'm intrigued but not sure what it all means. LOL

    Cheers,

    Chris Cardinal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris very simple really... 00 - 4mm scale, 6.5 - 6.5mm gauge track. It's built using Busch Feldbahn chassis and track, which is 6.5mm gauge, but their bodies are H0 scale rather than 00 scale. The gauge is also used for Z gauge. All these models here are to 4mm scale though, and the track scales out about 18".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I see now. The light bulb has come on. This is quite brilliant stuff, but far too tiny for my eyes. :)

    Cheers,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.