Avonside in 006.5: green all over...

The etches arrived for my 006.5 Avonside last week, but with the hurry to get things ready for ExpoNG, despite taking photos, it's taken until now to write about the model...
Last seen as an assembly of 3D printed parts I felt it was important to put this one over the line before the show, so hoped the etches would arrive in time from Steve at Narrow Planet. I had drawn these up on iDraw/Graphic on my Mac - and it was awesome when they turned up and all fitted perfectly. It's quite a simple design - 3D chassis, boiler assembly, tanks and cab front. The etched parts are buffer beam overlays, connecting rods, roof, front spectacle plate and a couple of rear option - both a half cab and full cab. I've opted for totally open on my test build because I wanted to show off the cab interior...
The etches are a perfect fit, the advantage of working to dimensions taken straight from the 3D artwork. I've also added an Eileen's Emporium smokebox dart, which is a straight plug into the hole in the 3D print, and some 0.6mm brass rod for the sandbox pipework and rear cab supports. The regulator is 0.4mm brass rod, and the brake standard is from a spare from the SRB Peckett - I'm looking into a source of these for the production kit. Not pictured are the EuroNG/6point5 models centre buffers - which take a 2mm diameter N50 magnet.
At this stage the model was dusted in primer to check the finish, and ensure any blemishes were addressed, I couldn't resist posing it on Creech Grange...
...where it looked right at home with the Motorail coach and Sand Hutton wagons.
Next up I decided to go with the same green as the scratchbuilt Hunslet - I had toyed with a maroon, but decided the green worked better on the layout then a darker colour would do, and as I'd chosen not to line it, it would be more in keeping with the other locomotive. The green is Humbrol Satin 131, a lovely mid green colour. I applied two thin coats by brush - these models are so small it seemed pointless getting out the airbrush.
Once dry the roof, smokebox and footplate (plus cab interior) were picked out in matt black (33) - and the safety valve in gold (actually brass 171). The regulator, buffer beams and brake stand in satin red (132). Unlike the Hunslet which has a brown chassis, the Avonside has a maroon chassis, Humbrol matt red wine (73).
The name plates are also on the etch - I chose to call the model 'Empire' as although the body is dimensionally based upon the Avonside Imperial, I have had to extend the side tanks forwards to hide the chassis block, and the model is a touch lower as it rolls on the standard Busch chassis. I chose a black backing for these, and opted for a central fitment on the tank to offer a little variety to the Hunslet, also pictured here (above).
The final step is to fit the slidebars and replace the Busch Deutz coupling rod with a connecting rod. I did try fitting coupling rods too, like I have done on the Heywood tank - but there just isn't room on this chassis and like on the Hunslet, it's barely noticable. I've added a little coal in the bunker too!

All that's left now is a careful weathering and perhaps a (removable) driver figure. More soon...

Comments

  1. Love to see you as the removable figure! Get yourself a ModelU scan in various poses. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.