A shed for Samson in 009: all walls...

It's proving hard to photograph this building - so I've tried two approaches this time! Anyhow, more progress on my new scratchbuilt engine shed...
You'll notice the doors, drain pipes, gutters and weather boards are now a mucky old green, this was mixed from Humbrol enamels, and then when nearly dry, dry brushed with a slightly lightened version of the same colour to highlight the edge of planks, and the damage I'd inflicted on the shed doors. It looks quite dark in some of these photos but doesn't appear so bad in the flesh!
You'll notice the window sill, lintels and door step are now in stone, and the chimney cap in stone and brick, finishing off the basic structure and covering up pretty much all the unpainted styrene. In these top two photos taken on my workbench the bricks appear quite vivid, but they don't in real life hence the photos below. Before these details were painted I had drybrushed the walls with Humbrol enamels, brick red (70) and matt red-orange (100), and for the stone walls 70. These were mixed with touches of white and chocolate to tint them slightly as the layering effect was built up.
Once dry I used the same colours to mix up on a small palette variations in tone, and hand painted bricks and stones randomly in lighter and darker colours - all as per the description in Martyn Welch's book. I observed the colours I'd seen on cottages and farm buildings locally here in the Dee Valley - which is where the engine shed is supposed to be located, so hopefully it's starting to look more like a local structure then a generic building.
The next stage is to paint the lintel over the door, and brackets in a rusty metal colour, touch in the door handle, and start the roof - as well as use some mucky washes on the brick wall (at least) to tie the dry brushed and hand painted bricks together.
The final shot shows the building posed with some suitable motive power and stock, as a bit of a hint of what is to come - the shed is actually a touch too low to allow the engine access, so the base will be build up on the layout so the rails are more level with the floor, but it was built to house the small diesels and quarry Hunslets really... anyway, more on the building soon, and once I've built a few more structures and the layout feels more a reality I'll share the plans!

Comments

  1. Looks great. I sometimes also use crayons , oranges , yellows on brick work as well to provide some variation .
    As regards the 006.5 , being a bit of a Luddite how does this work with the Busch engines if buying the kits you produce. I thought the Busch system was battery powered? Can I use the Busch track system wired to a conventional 12 V Dc controller ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David, thanks for the comment and tips on crayons. In terms of 006.5 - I have a Gaugemaster W, powered from a 4.5V AC transformer that gives 0-3.7V DC, safe to use up to 3V with the Busch mechs.

      Delete
    2. Minor correction - it's actually a 6V AC Adaptor - so probably gives closer to 4.5V on maximum, but I don't operate more than 50% on the Gaugemaster controller.
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6V-AC-2A-12VA-6VAC-Mains-AC-AC-Transformer-Adaptor-Power-Supply-5-5mm-x-2-1mm/311949798164?hash=item48a1a82b14:g:JeAAAOSw6kxXH2eZ

      Delete
  2. Hi James - very impressed with the shed plus you've built it before we built the full size one! Sorry you didn't see Samson when you visited Beamish - trying to make it more accessible and the new shed will eventually enable this...
    I did the drawings from a survey of Chadwick Nick - have thought about doing one in 7/8 - like you observed, it really is too low for cabbed engines (no cabs on the Crich line!) so I need to redraw it to retain the proportions whilst enabling a loco with a modest cab (or less modest chimney!)to fit inside! I included a pit on the full size shed, and the paved floor was a last minute addition! Hopefully we will get back to it in the coming years - once the other 28 buildings we have to do in the next few years are complete...!!! Cheers, Paul Jarman
    PS - you can see what other narrow gauge projects are underway at www.beamishtransportononline.co.uk - some coaches for the narrow gauge that might take your fancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul thank you for the kind words - yes I thoroughly enjoyed the book, despite not seeing Samson and I'm up in a few weeks so will try again when I visit.

      I'd love to build the shed for the garden line, alas it may be too big, but something similar might work on the Mill siding. I've just got to get around to working out how you go about building stuff in 7/8ths in the garden from real slate, stone, bricks etc. We'll see how I get on.

      I've seen Matt Nunn's new wagon at Llanfair this weekend, Samson's 'tender' and we talked about it being upscaled to 7/8ths as it might prove a useful wagon for my own line. We'll see what happens!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.