Simplex 40S in 7/8ths: radio control...

I've got to this stage of the Simplex build and I've not really shown the workings of the model, so I'll share a bit more on what is 'under the hood' so to speak...
The chassis is a PDF models custom unit, which I've described before - centrally mounted motor and gear box driving both axles through delrin drive chains, like the prototype so to speak. Peter did an excellent job to match my brief, which involved cutting out as much of the side frames as possible to allow lots of day light to show through when viewed from a low angle.
The radio control system was sourced from Peter Spoerer and included a transmitter, receiver, battery pack, wiring loom and charger. I have fitted the charging socket and on/off switch on the underside of the model, tucked to one side, so as to allow the chassis to be dropped out if it is needed in the future.
The battery packs are 2 x 8 AAA batteries giving 9.6v and about 1800mAh of charge... which should be plenty - and is probably total overkill really. This, along with the receiver and motor controller are all tucked away in the bonnet - and it's a tight squeeze, but it's all fitted in...
To ensure it's held tightly together I have used some electricians tape, time will tell if this is a sensible move, but it does mean the wiring is protected somewhat from damage, and holds everything together firmly ensuring there is clearance from the bonnet which I've begun to fabricate.
So here we are, I should have a basic bonnet on it in the next day or so, and the radiator fitted - which will give it the typical Simplex outline... then I can work on the finishing touches before deciding what colour to paint it! I've joined the 16mm society so I can find anyone local to me near Llangollen who may have a garden line for me to test it out on! More soon...

Comments