Another 6.5mm gauge diesel...

I've been pondering doing a Ruston in 006.5 for a month or so, and even have some proof of concept sketches complete - but it is another locomotive that has inspired me to fire up the design software and get designing...

The Hunslet (Jenbach) diesel shunters, built in 1994 by Hunslet in Leeds, to a Jenbach design (Type DH25), fitted with a Kubota diesel engine and weighing 2.7 tonnes. They were I believe originally used on the Jubilee line extension in 1996/7 as 2ft gauge locomotives and have ended up on a few miniature railways in the UK and rebuilt in different guises. There is one at Eaton Hall (15inch), one at Fairbourne (12inch) and one at Perrygrove (15inch) that I know of - I'm sure there are a few more too...

The 006.5 model (representing 18" gauge) is a touch longer than the prototype due to the Busch mechanism but I've worked hard to maintain the proportions of the cute little locomotive. Shown below is very much a work in progress render of the model. Usual design of a 3D core, but favouring my new technique of a kit f parts to assemble, and then fitting the etched metal parts over for the cab and bonnet doors. My intention is this opens up 006.5 in a new direction, a way of modelling miniature railways in 4mm scale. I hope to order the prototype parts soon, so I should have more to share in a month or so... in the meantime I believe the etched parts are back for the Churchwater locomotive and wagons so I'll share more on them soon...
All photos taken by myself, top to bottom Perrygrove, Fairbourne and Eaton Hall. It would appear that Perrygrove have modified the bodywork whereas Eaton and Fairbourne have just modified the existing body panels.

Comments