Booths Siding in 009: planning and sketching...

Regular readers of my thread on NGRM and my blog will know that a follow up to Creech Bottom has been planned for some time...
Booths Siding is 'the other end of the line', and my intention is to build it on the same LACK shelf from IKEA, so should the possibility of adding an 'intermediate board' every occur, the three can work together. The track plan is a modification of Grindley Brook Wharf to suit the board size, and to incorporate a number of features I wanted, including the transhipment shed and siding.

I've tried out a few different options regarding hiding the exit to the fiddle yard area - which I intend to be similar to that on Creech Bottom - including road overbridges, trees, even a tunnel - but none quite satisfied the feel I was after. I was inspired by the original Furzebrook underpass under the SR mainline in Purbeck, so in the end I've gone for a standard gauge line crossing the board.

I've sketched out what this could look like (see above) including a little (not to scale) plan of the rail connection to let this happen. I've also been sketching out building ideas (below) and this will continue now as I move into the build phase I expect.
The Purbeck ball clay lines are a bit inspiration, but so has the book on the North Devon Clay company by the same publisher - and a photo of Meeth has leant it's shed, which I may use as the main office. I wanted originally to use a model of Porthgain engine shed, but instead I've gone for something inspired by Eaton Hall, as it's compact and interesting to look at and should suit my little engines.

More soon as the board construction starts...

Comments

  1. I love the sketches! Did you use the 53 app?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Harry, yes I used Paper by 53 with their Bluetooth stylus, the Pencil, on my iPad, a very usable and versatile app!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have tried using it on my phone with a stylus, but I have found it hard to be as accurate as I can be with pencil and paper. Is the pencil a good buy?

      Delete
    2. Harry, the app works best with an iPad as it's just too small to use on a phone, trust me I've tried. Therefore unless you've got access to one, I'd not recommend the Pencil.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a very nice project James. You are not short of projects ! The drawings in support are also excellent. I looked up the paper by 53 and only saw bad reviews since becoming a free app. I guess you use the old version before the changes ? Would this be correct ?
    As regards the plan it's a pity you can't fit in the standard gauge to be working. I guess that's not possible due to restricted size, iunless it arrived under the narrow gauge somehow or along side like Penryhn ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bought it, it was a paid app, and I expect to make it work you still need to pay for it. You get what you pay for, it wasn't expensive... free apps are usually free for a reason. I'd definitely recommend it, if you can draw already... it doesn't short cut the ability to draw, but does mean you can do it digitally, which is fun and works well for me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.