Fingers - first stuck then burnt...

I've had a productive few weeks on the modelling front - at least it feels that way! With Caerphilly Castle finished (and an article for Model Rail written) work has turned to new projects.

When I placed my order for P4 parts last year I also picked up some moulded plastic fish plates - cosmetic - from Exactoscale. I've been meaning to slice these up and fit them to Paxton Road for sometime but for whatever reason the job kept slipping down the priority list! Well at last I pulled my finger out (only to stick them together) as I fiddled about with these microscopic details and superglue! They just catch the bottom of deeper flanges but things don't ride or jump up, just 'click' so it actually adds to the audial experience!


Rose Hill has been seriously neglected in recent weeks with day dreaming of Meadow Lane and modelling in OO taking up my time. However last weekend I found myself pulling out the station for some work. The idea is to finish the brickwork and paintwork before I add the finer details - that way the finish will continue underneath posters, drainpipes, cabling etc - rather than go around it! So far I've done on end wall, painted the green woodwork and the flat roof. It's coming on nicely and I'm dead pleased with it so far!


Literally hot of the 'desk' - my Sentinel kit (Judith Edge) arrived today from Charlie at DC Kits. Excellent service, and despite a custom built Black Beetle motor bogie from Australia I received my kit in under 4 weeks.

I could hardly contain my excitement so out came the tools and I managed to get the first 5 sections of brass soldered up. It sounds silly but I'm so proud of what I've achieved. This is the first etched kit soldering I have done in 10 years. Yes if I did it again now I'd have a squarer more professional finish but I learnt so much burning my fingers and messing around with 145 degree solder and flux it was definitely worth it. I'm using a 25W Antex iron with 3.5mm tip - and it provides all the heat I need. The 145 solder has made assembly a lot easier then I anticipated and by lightly tinning each surface it goes together very nicely. I can't wait to progress this in the coming weeks!

I also gave the Black Beetle a gentle running in to check it worked ok. It's tiny - just 26mm wheelbase.

Comments

  1. The Sentinal looks to be making good progress! I'm looking forward to building the Judith Edge kit I have in stock!

    By the way, did you receive my e-mail on Class 37s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. James - thanks! I've made quite a bit more progress so will post something up in a few days, hopefully with the chassis 'finished' so to speak!

    I never received an email about 37s? I do remember asking you something about them a while back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did reply - hmmm, most odd. If you e-mail on the address in the 'Contact me' bit on my blog, I'll re-send it to you! Didn't hear anything and didn't want you to think I was just being rude!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.