A scenic update...

Progress has been at a snail's pace recently and motivation at a real low point. I'm torn between junking Paxton Road, selling it or finishing it... then selling it.
It's a great shunting plank, but I think I've outgrown it's limitations and lust after something a little more specific.

Anyhow a few weeks ago I snapped some outdoor shots when the weather was finer as I've been playing with some Woodland Scenics fine leaf foliage (basically sea moss with foliage attached already, from what I can tell).

The layout does do one thing well, and that is act as a coherent base to photograph my stock on - digging through the cupboard I realised I've got quite a lot of stuff that really needs finishing off. The VAAs for example need brake discs and calipers adding and I need to sort the droopy couplings - and the OCA has a Land Rover load in the making.

The Seacow is still one of my favourite weathering jobs though...

Comments

  1. I hate to say it as it may make me sound snobbish, and I'm really not! But I think you're experiments with P4 have maybe shown you that you enjoy going for more accuracy and pushing yourself that little bit further. It is addictive!

    That's not to say that Paxton Road isn't good, I think it looks great! I think that's mostly down to your eye when it comes to weathering - the fading of the OCA looks fantastic! And I'll be honest, many 'high quality', thoroughly researched P4 essays leave me cold as there has been no effort to weather and bring everything together and this to me is just as inaccurate as any gauge inaccuracies! Possibly more so in my personal view.

    If you're not enjoying it, leave it for a bit - start a new little project and see how you go! I have three main eras of modelling and the variety always helps my enthusiasm!

    Oh, and if you do decide to sell Paxton Road, I don't think you'll struggle to sell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James thanks for the kinds words... as you know I'm a man of many projects! Three diesels sit over my shoulder awaiting either re-worked/improved detailing or complete make-overs including my mega 66 build. On the shelf above my head sit a 3/4 finished P4 Pacer and 80% weathered Sentinel shunter. To my left is a box of bits including a TTA tank I'm planning to try out Bill Bedford springing units on and then on the window sill are the 'finished' (for now) station building and half completed walls of the pub for Rose Hill.

    I don't know. I keep drawing up sketches for a OO layout based on Didcot Yard as it uses all my OO stock - I'd use my existing fleet and it'd be another shunting plank - just I'd use better track I think.

    I've also got the Meadow Lane project to work out in my head... that'd be my first P4 point when I get around to it - still got tons of cool stuff stashed for that project...

    Then there is Rose Hill which is a dream that I can't justify - 7" long and just one long platform!

    Still onwards. Bought a copy of 'Landscape Modelling' by Barry Norman today at the SVR (been looking for a copy for ages) so will read that and see what takes me :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.