A Lynton and Barnstable adventure?

Well the 4mm mojo didn't return for long with work on the Bachmann Class 66 over pretty much as soon as it started and a few more projects rattled off in G gauge for my outdoor project (http://ejklr.blogspot.com)...

One of my favourite aspects of railway modelling is research and inspiration comes from funny places. Ever since Lyd was built and unveiled on the Ffestiniog a year or so ago I've found myself strangely drawn to the Lynton and Barnstable railway - not it's current mile long form, but in it's hey day.



I've heard it described as the railway enthusiast's 'lost city of Atlantis' with the stories of Lew still in existance in South America - but there is certainly something about the line. For me it's the strange magic that's wrapped up with the words placed on a wreath at Barnstable station the day after closure...

'Perchance it is not dead, but sleepeth...'



So where was my inspiration?

Walking along through a wood on the outskirts of a village next to the sea in Dorset, called Ringstead. I've always thought this part of the world is very beautiful and wondered 'what if... a railway had been built'. Highly unlikely, a tiny population and no industry it really would have been a folly of a railway but inspiration it was never the less...

I quickly found the excellent website 'County Gate' and it's numerous resources, surely the seminal collection of L&B material on the internet, and the draw of a Backwoods Miniatures Manning Wardle or Baldwin etched kit is beginning to prove very tempting indeed... with the Baldwin 'Lyn' edging it at present due to the easier valve gear.


Comments