A quiet afternoon at Kisten Torfwerk...

'I took a wander down the old lane to Kisten Torfwerk this afternoon to see what was moving about at the old peat works...
All seemed quiet when I first arrived so I grabbed a few photos... the loading shed was all closed up and no peat wagons could be seen...
I followed the overgrown sand ballasted tracks around the back of the engine shed, quintessential industrial narrow gauge atmosphere abounds with the skip and abandoned overturned wagon...
The lovely hazy afternoon peace was shattered though when the 1951 LKM NS2 rumbled by... not with peat wagons but a train of sand in small tipper wagons!
I had a chat with the driver and he tipped me off that one of the line's original Jung steam locomotives, recently restored by the preservation society, was being steamed up... suffice to say it made an appearance shunting the (now empty) sand hoppers.
The NS2 was left in a siding at the peat bagging shed.

I strolled around to the shed, and found the Diema stabled outside, recently repainted but still looking a little battered, I am told it's a strong performer and used most days.

The company owned VW van arrived, and the staff dissppeared into the workshop and office, presumably for a cup of tea!

The works was quiet again, so I took a few photos of the workshop...

I spoke nicely to the foreman and they dragged out the old O&K with the Diema, I'm told this locomotive will be turned out in a similar livery to the Jung one day, when the preservation society have restored the old engine...

The sky remained hazy all afternoon which allowed some decent photography, I captured this study of the workshop and yard area...

Finally, a real delight and surprise, the line's Czech tank loco, still used daily, appeared with the hoppers I saw earlier, apparently heading up the line for another load of the material, that after a few conversations I ascertained was being used to firm up the track on some of the branches. A lovely afternoon, I trust you appreciate me taking the camera down'.

Kisten Torfwerk is a micro 009 layout, based on European industrial narrow gauge practice, and features models of my own kits sold under the EuroNG brand distributed exclusively through Narrow Planet.

Comments