Avonside 'Empire' in 006.5...

With my recent forays into the new scale of 006.5 (1:76 modelling using 6.5mm gauge track) I've been building some scratchbuilt models for my own pleasure...

The Ruston Proctor is already available as a kit in the 6point5 brand through Narrow Planet, and the Heywood wagons will be available at the end of the summer, so thoughts turn to producing a British outline steam engine to fit on a Busch mechanism. Neither my Hunslet or Heywood are suitable candidates because of the amount of modification that was required - what is needed is a fairly easy 'plonk' on body with extra details to add...

With that in mind I've been working up various options... I've looked at the Avonside Woolwich, the Kerr Stuart Pompeii - both from Woolwich Arsenal. I've looked at tiny steam engines from Crewe and Horwich works... I've looked at miniature 'Exmoor' style locomotives. In the end I stumbled upon Tim Ellis's excellent scratchbuild of the Avonside Imperial, a small 0-4-0 side tank locomotive built at the turn of the 20th century.

(source: http://steam-locomotives-south-africa.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/durban-sugar-terminal-maydon-warf.html)
Scaling down the drawings suggested that this might be possible... in it's raw form it would be a touch too big, but I dug out my iPad and looked at some options...
Here you can see that I'd also looked at Woolwich (but this was even more undersized to fit the chassis) along with some freelance Peckett saddle tank ideas...
I started with a 3D model of the Busch mechanism in Sketchup, and knocked up some basic dimentions. The side tanks are extended to cover the mechanism, the width and length are reduced a little, and the idea was to capture the feel of the prototype. I've also ditched the colonial style roof, and opted for a simple shorter single skin...
I used this mock up as the basis for a sketch on the iPad, inking in the final proposal with added coal bunkers either side of the cab like I did with the Hunslet I scratchbuilt.

This was then finished with some colour to show how it might look as a finished model.
So I'm sharing this for two reasons - firstly because it shows some of the early design work that happens when I develop a new kit - I don't always share these drawings and sketches but they're a neccessary and enjoyable part of the process...

Secondly I am also opening up a conversation about what modellers might like to see in 006.5... I recognise that this is an 'Avonside' what if, rather than true scale model - brought about by the comprimise involved in using a RTR chassis. The danger with true scale 18" Woolwich tanks, or the Hunslet Warils, is that in 1:76 they are similiar in size to most small 2ft gauge prototypes. To make more of the narrowe gauge I've leaned towards a 'what if', as this also allows the use of the chassis which gives more modellers the chance to get into the scale more easily, but does mean that this isn't a true scale model. It is a similar physical size to my scratchbuilt 'Hunslet'.

I intend to push the concept through to a finished prototype over the next 6 months, but would appreciate your views on if this is a model you'd consider purchasing if interested in the possibilities of the narrower track gauge! No idea of final price, but could be around £120 including chassis...
Please leave your views and reflections. More soon... well soon ish...


EDIT: 
This project has progressed to a prototyping stage with a test print ordered from Shapeways:

Comments

  1. Love this design. So much so, I may have to nick it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, that being said I'd rather you waited and bought one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.