Tractor matters...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I quite often find myself re-visiting models!

This time it's my resprayed Bachmann 37/0 - now masquerading as 37013. I've fitted a DCC decoder this evening as Paxton Road progresses and my Dynamis is semi-permanently installed now, and looking at the details things felt a little chunky and crude compared to my latest 37, Caerphilly Castle.

So I dug out the Hornby Class 31 buffers (a huge improvement over the Bachmann effort) and the 40 links per inch chain (thanks Jon) and knicker elastic (thanks other Jon) for a bit of fettling. The buffers were replaced - the MU socket replaced with a part from the Hornby 31 detailing pack and then the knicker elastic was used to replace the MU hose, after drilling out the plug and bufferbeam connection 0.5mm to accept the elastic. I've then used some brass etch fret to form the brake actuation rod and threaded the chain onto that at one end and 0.35mm wire at the other. I've also added sanding pipes front and rear on the one bogie (so far) which is a big visual improvement as these are elastic they can actually be fitted to the chassis and bogie without limiting motion. Last but not least I used some stainless steel etch fret to make the bufferbeam foot step.



Work will continue on the other four bogies, other buffer beam and then the fuel tanks will be modified like I did on Caerphilly Castle. I'll finish off by touching in the details, dusting some grime along the bottom tumblehome with my new airbrush, adding some more exhaust powder to the roof before sealing with a fine mist of varnish.

Comments