Welsh Highland 2012


I spent a lovely day visiting the Welsh Highland Railway on Sunday, travelling from Caernarfon to Porthmadog, and return, with my Mum. This is the second year we've done it, last year I'd booked the tickets with my Dad as the half term was the first weekend of trains for the public all the way through to Porthmadog. Mum and I chose to use them - this year just seemed like the right thing to do.

I picked up the Middleton Press book by Hugh Ballantyne on the narrow gauge Garratts in South Africa in the excellent shop at Porthmadog station. This made interesting reading all the way home, and has planted the seed of what I want to build next in 009. I've been wondering about doing a Garratt for a few years now, and that might need to wait until later in the year, but I think I'll definitely pick up some Worsley Works etched brass rolling stock kits in the meantime.

So what of the journey? Well we had low cloud, mist and some rain on the way home, but travelling in first class in a quiet carriage admiring the view and contemplating the world - I can't think of a much better way to travel. Add to that a pair of coal fired Garratts in steam, and I think, despite the fairly characterless stations (as yet - although progress is being made on this already, and the Phase 5 plans include funding for some new arrangements at both Porthmadog and Caernarfon) the Welsh Highland is one of my favourite preserved railway in the UK - a twisting well laid line with real contrast in the scenery from the rolling hills between Caernarfon and Waunfawr, the bleak mountains between Snowdon Ranger and Rhyd Du, the forest on the descent into Bedgellert, the awe inspiring Aberglaslyn pass and the flat farmland between Hafod y Lyn and Porthmadog. I hope you enjoy some of the photos, the majority taken at Rhyd Du (pronounced 'reed thee' I think), and consider making a journey on the line in 2011.

For me - the memory and inspiration live on.

Comments