Kerr Stuart Haig in 009: chimney decision...

The Five79 kit for the Joffre comes with a stove pipe chimney that just doesn't look right for the Haig, somehow it looks too heavy...
In my bits box I had a Brian Madge quarry Hunslet short chimney - at first glance this looked too slim and short, but having posed it on the Haig's boiler, and comparing with prototype photos of Kashmir I don't think it's far off. The other good news is I can use another section of Talyllyn coach roof that's in my bits box thanks to Pete at Meridian, for the roof as it's the right profile and width, and have found some 1mm L section brass that will work for the uprights so progress can start to be made on the distinctive cab soon.
Also on the workbench I've made more progress on the Meridian water tank wagon. The tanks have been fitted with handrails and a tap, and one strap (the second section provided for strapping wasn't long enough). It still needs a balance pipe adding between the tanks, and the brake adding to the platform.
Here you can also see the firebox I've added to the Haig, a comprimise, but with a cab added I think it's good enough. Certainly better than nothing! Again a spare in my bits box thanks to Brian Madge.
Finally the first of two new books has arrived - this one the Plateway Press book on the Cliffe Hill Mineral Railway which is a good read with plenty of excellent and inspiring photos, almost too inspiring! Lots of ideas for stock, scenic detail etc for Creech Bottom's extension. More soon...

Comments