A gathering of Gronks...

I've a peculiar habit - nothing like that! No I mean I've a habit of revisiting older models and bringing them up to my recent standards.
This is most evident when I have more than one of a locomotive type - actually that's nearly all my stock (3 08/09s, 2 33s, 3 37s and just one 58). I find working on a newer model makes me re-evaluate a previous effort and look to improve it. I guess this progression is pretty natural and is a good way for a beginner to progress - so guys, don't be afraid of re-working models you thought you'd finished - it's very satisfying.

I've found the Bachmann 08/09 a lovely model and it responds really well to weathering and detailing. The models pictured here were completed in the order EWS, RF Grey and most recently the Mainline liveried 09 (featured in December 2009 Model Rail ). As I've done each model I've updated the previous versions and after adding wire handrails to my Pacer project I wondered if the small short Gibson handrail knobs I'd aquired for that project could be used on the 08s?

The answer - as you can see, is yes! Check out the revised foot step handrails!
The foot steps need modifying first (as described in the article) and then it's a simple job to fit the Gibson handrail knobs and wire. I'm really impressed - so impressed that I'm going to roll out the modification to the other pair at the same time!

These models are ones I'm really proud of - the humble shunter and mundane appearance of all three is perfect for my layout. I think the Bachmann model, with these small modifications really comes to life. I'm planning on fitting Brassmasters rods to all three at some point this year once I master soldering with my Judith Edge Sentinel kit in the summer.

Comments