Bagnall saddle tank in 009: mk2 test arrived...

Work on my first British outline narrow gauge model using my multi-media 3D print/etch concept is progressing, and the Mk2 version of the print has arrived...
In this shot above you can see from left to right, Mk1 reprint, Mk1 initial print and Mk2 initial print.
The Mk1 initial print was badly manufactured by Shapeways with distortion around the rear of the cab and poor surface quality to the roof supports and tank fronts. However I rushed fitting the test etch bits so it was ready for display at Rainhill (infact hopefully this initial prototype will also be on display at Beds and Bucks if I can get it down to Steve in time).
Shapeways reprinted it - which was much better quality - however it still had the boiler and tank with a common centreline - so I re-drew this so drop the centre line of the tank. I also took the opportunity to re-draw the rear buffer beam, this will now be etched - as I think the 3D printed one caused some of the warping of the Mk1. I also took the opportunity to modify the rear of the cab to reduce the risk of it warping as it did with the Mk1. This formed the Mk2 version, seen below, which is a good fit on the chassis. So some more design adjustments are required. I intend to modify the front footplate which was an etch, to a 3D part - and I will also include large 'dumb' buffers, and slots for Greenwich couplings front and rear. In terms of the etch, this will be tweaked, to reduce the diameter of the smokebox door, and to add cab front, rear and side sheets as per the original concept.
Finally a shot from the front of both the initial Mk1 (left) and Mk2 (right). Hopefully you can discern the reduced centreline of the tank. It's more noticable in the flesh and definitely improves the visual character of the locomotive. So still a few months of development left before this is anywhere near the point where I'd consider offering it as a kit - but showing some promise :) More soon...

Comments

  1. Nice promising start James. Now you are on UK outline I'm looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David - yes just waiting on the test etch mk 2, which will include the cab front, side and back sheet options.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.