Heywood tank in 006.5: finishing...

I'm smiling quite a lot right now, Alex the Engine is pretty much finished bar final weathering, a project I started a few months ago now to test myself and try out some new ideas...
The result of these experiments? I think a very successful representation of the Heywood 0-4-0t 'Katie' in 4mm scale - the only real compromise being the gauge, as with a driver fitted, the fact the chassis intrudes in the cab is a lot less noticeable. Things have come together quickly since my last post, so instead of the usual progress shots I present here, a finished locomotive...
First the loco was airbrushed with Humbrol satin dark green, and the chassis brush painted in matt brown. The smokebox and chassis top in matt black, and the buffer beams in red. Once this was dry I picked out the spectacle rims, rear handrail and dome in a gold colour.
The custom designed transfers, printed for me by John at Precision Labels, were then cut out and applied to the tank sides, fronts, cab rear sheet and buffer beams. Some were easy, some (the buffer beam lining) were a little more tricky. However, despite a little silvering under the EH I'm very happy with the fit and the colours are spot on! Cream lining with a burgundy centre stripe.
The name plates (Alex) were fitted as well as the works plates to the boiler, before the whole engine was carefully sprayed with Dull-cote to protect the transfers and pull the finish together.
Here it is posed with the Bagnall from Narrow Planet to show how tiny it is...
And finally with a part finished Heywood top wagon...
Next up, the wagons need finishing, and hopefully a visit to Eaton Hall this weekend to measure up the brake van for another project. In the meantime, I've a layout to get on with for it! Creech Grange needs a little more attention... more soon...

Comments