Simplex 40S in 7/8ths: parts ready...

I've been acquiring parts over the past few weeks for the Simplex build, and am now just waiting on delivery of my chassis from PDF models...
The parts I designed have been delivered from Shapeways and look superb, I'm really happy with these, and the finish on them. They won't need much cleaning up to work really nicely.
The axle box and brake shoes feature nuts and washers! I've incorporated features like this on prints in 4mm scale but they're tiny, these actually look like you could undo them!
The sand box lids look good, but I mis-calculated the lip on the underside so they'll need cutting down to fit flush with the top of the sandbox. The air filter and fuel filler lid look great.
I've mocked up the gauge and size of wheels on paper, and have been overlaying these on the end elevation - seen here with the 'winter driver' I sourced from Si at Model-earth. This gives a feel for the size of the scale, and I had to get a driver early on, so I could work from something.
Finally here are the 'Simplex bits' from Si at Model-earth that were suitable for the later 40S I'm working with. The top of the radiator will need modifying but the rest of it is a lovely casting. I've also picked up some nuts and bolt heads from Cambrian models - unfortunately they were out of rivets else I'd have had a set of them as well.

More soon, once the chassis arrives and I can begin to build the frames.

Comments