GWR 8750 Pannier...

Last year I picked up this GWR Pannier for a great price, it reminded me of my very first train model, an old Hornby item (the mould later became Duck) with the big old X04 motor and GWR on the tanks, this old model was quickly joined by Mainline and early Bachmann models during my early teens, but I've not really been interested in 4mm scale steam since then...
The 8750 added a later Collet cab to the earlier 57xx design, I've taken a Bachmann RTR model and added new Narrow Planet numbers, used Fox transfers to renumber the buffer beams, added RT Models sanding levers, used staples for the front lamp irons, added real coal and then given it a weathering.
The weathering started off with a wash of Humbrol 33, 98, 133 and 53 in various proportions along the footplate and tank top. The chassis was painted in the same manner, following the advice and instructions in Martyn Welch's 'The Art of Weathering' - a book I've had as a bible for 25 years, using in addition Metalcote 27004.
The body was then airbrushed with a 2 parts 27004, 1 part 27, 1 part 62 mix, and then a similar mix lightened with 98 to the chassis and underside of the tanks and rear overhang of the coal bunker.
The result is a well worn but still clean GWR example, really I should add a lot more dirt, but I'd like to keep it as little cleaner. My intention is I can use it for a post-war layout as either a GWR or BR era model. I've ordered a crew from Model-U, my first purchase from them, so it will be interesting to see how they fit. It's given me some ideas for a small OO layout, and I'm eagerly awaiting my pre-ordered Hornby Peckett 0-6-0t. More soon...

Comments