Commission: EMD300hp in 1/48 scale...

I've been building this EMD300hp switcher from a '2 Doors Down' kit in American O scale (1:48) for a customer in Canada...
It's a lovely characterful model, and a prototype I wasn't familiar with before starting work. Components from EMD range used to produce a small switcher, primarily for the military although since re-sold onto industry.
The kit is largely thick etched brass, which is lovely and crisp to work with, but a challenge for my 25W iron, I think if I do anymore larger brass models I'll get another higher power or RSU. The details are white metal, and the bonnets were cast in resin. A great use of multi-media.
The kit needed wheels, motor and drive to complete - hence why the customer asked me to look at it, as the kit was a UK produced example and all the drive was specified as UK suppliers. Small Canon 5 pole motors (the Mashima no longer available), Markits gearboxes and Slaters wheels, two axle drive via two seperate independent systems connected by wiring, its a slow running model thanks to the quantity of metal involved in it's construction.
The customer requested a primed finish, so unfortunately I won't have the chance to paint such a lovely model, but I am looking forward to seeing how he finishes it and I'll hopefully be able to share photos on my Facebook page.
If you've got a kit lurking in the drawer that you'd like me to turn into your dream model, please do get in touch for a personal quote and model proposal. I'm happy to consider work in all scales, gauges and materials. Contact me on my website contact form, the Facebook page or via a PM on one of the forums I'm on... more soon...

Comments