Fiddle and filler...

After my trip earlier today to Waltons model shop to pick up some modelling materials I've been spurred into more Wasp action.

I needed some Milliput to fill the gaps at each end of the roof, created by putting the crease in the middle. This is superfine, the only issue I ever have with Milliput is the fact you can never mix a small amount - I must have used less than 5% than I mixed on the roof - so it seems quite wasteful. However an excellent tried and trusted product.

The fiddle has been adding a few more details - pictured here on the workbench. The chassis has had an exhaust pipe (0.9mm brass rod) added below the battery box (as well as some lead that you can't see as it's on the top surface). The 2 yards of track have allowed some gentle 'running in' of the chassis which was also left suspended for 15 minutes running at a variety of speeds. Slow speed responsiveness is improved - but not amazing (yet).

On the body I've fashioned door handles from 0.45mm brass rod, with a flat filed to represent the handle. These needed tiny holes drilling in the doors - which was tricky and I realise I need another tool - a spring punch or similar to help seat the drill. All done and fitted now. Also pictured, but not yet fitted until the Milliput is dry and sanded, are the windscreen wipers. The arms are 0.45mm brass rod with the front face filed flat. The blades are 0.3mm brass rod, and they're simply superglued together. I'll fit them to the body before priming.

Not pictured is the 1mmx1mm L section Plastruct used along the top of the door each side - the door runner assembly. This was attached with liquid polystyrene cement to the edge of the roof.

Comments