Lyd2 in 009: chassis disaster...

I'm frustrated with myself this evening because I'm now facing a total re-start on the Stuart Brewer chassis for my Lyd2...
I'm not happy with the plastic centred wheels, they're not easy to get on straight and true. I've struggled with cutting the axles to length, and I've struggled with the plastic fly cranks, snapping one and melting two when soldering on the coupling rod.
So although it's salvageable it'll need new wheels, axles and flycranks if I want it to run. However ideally I'd not use plastic centred wheels again, and would prefer a gear driven chassis if I was relying on plastic flycranks.

I should add that Stuart's parts are well designed and etched and without them motorising the Worsley Works kit would not be possible. The shortcomings here are my own in-experience, and perhaps, the lack of precision metal parts in the 009 cottage industry, meaning a reliance on plastic where it's less well suited.

Comments