Porter in 009: in black...

Since my last update on the Porter I have finished off the detailing and primed it, so this weekend saw the application of some satin black paint...
As usual I applied this using my airbrush. The finish looks good, and will be a good base for transfers before Dull-cote and weathering, and it shows that I did a good job on cleaning up the print.
I did manage to damage the print when I tried to remove it from the chassis for painting, but you can't see the repair on the cab front, and the bottom of the smokebox was fiddly but repairable. I'll leave this to dry for a few days before doing some detail painting and I need to draw up some custom transfers for the saddle tanks. I intend to paint the smokebox and stack in a matt black mixed with some gun-metal. The window frames will be varnished wood, so a rich yellow brown, or perhaps a red. If I use red, I'll also use that to pick out the edge of the number on the smokebox.
The buffer beams and foot boards will be weathered wood. I have left the bell and whistle off as they are lovely lost wax brass castings with a natural satin finish. They will be refitted before I weather the model.
The cab should be fairly easy to glaze, and I can fit a driver figure in the opening as well - which will finish it off nicely. As with the Davenport coupling will be Greenwich, fitted in pre-formed slots in the buffer beam.
You can see my 4 year old in the background, who was very excited to see this progress, as he's been watching me work on it for months! More soon...

Comments