Romanian forestry draisine in 009...

I feel like my 009 modelling has begun to focus a little - I still am torn between a 1930s era GWR absorbed UK based narrow gauge might have been and an Eastern European 1980s era industrial layout... I'm also torn between a 4x1 plank and a roundy roundy...

One project that has sprung up after a long time mulling over is a draisine... On the Romanian forestry lines that stayed open into the 1980s, in particular the Viseu de Sus, old minibuses were converted into draisines for carrying workmen. Oxford diecast have recently released the VW T25 campervan in OO (4mm) and with Hattons handy photo next to a ruler I was able to work out that a Kato tram chassis would fit underneath perfectly... hence...

Oxford die-cast VW T25 camper...

PLUS

Kato 11-105 bogie tram chassis...

EQUALS

Romanian forestry draisine...

The only real hurdle in this simple project is to convert the non-powered, yet pickup enabled end of the Kato chassis to a single axle. The prototype are always rear wheel drive to a single axles and I want to replicate this whilst maintaining the pick up capabiltities. The cow-catcher will also be excited to fabricate in nickel silver or brass off-cuts...

The body will simply be varnished in matt or satin with a very light weathering. I expect this simple project to progress alongside the etched brass Worsley Works diesels I'm building at the moment... more soon!

Comments