Klondike gold: for real...

Back in 2009 I visited the Klondike with my parents and brothers. We spent three weeks touring British Columbia, the Yukon and Alaska, visiting many of the famous Klondike stampede locations...
Me (centre) with my two brothers on the main street in Dawson City, 2009.
Skagway and the White Pass and Yukon have left a lasting impression on me to this day, but a trip in a bush plane to Dawson is the subject of this nostalgic post. My father chartered the plane, and we flew the 3 hours each way below cloud as the pilot didn't have a navigation licence! Hair raising as the plane bumped and lurched about and my Dad kept knocking the front window catch causing a sudden rush of cold air and a loud roar! Not pleasant at all - but seeing the Klondike river from the air gave you a real impression of just how far people travelled to reach the gold fields around Dawson.
Trawling through possessions at my Mum's last night I came across a small sample of gold I bought when visiting the MacBride museum in the Yukon. These small flakes will find a home on my micro layout as a lasting connection with the area of Canada and my desire to return one day.

More soon with layout planning...

Comments