Mass weathering...

I seem to save up batched of locomotives and stock for weathering with the airbrush for two reasons...
First you're using such a small amount of paint that it seems a waste to just do one and second doing them in batches ensures a little consistency in colour and finish which works well on the layout. In no particular order here are a few close ups...
The SRB Peckett is just waiting for name and works plates - I'm really happy with the subtle finish on this one. It would be great if the lining wasn't still a touch shiny - I'll ponder what to do about that. I like how the weathering has matted down the top of the saddle tank and roof.
The Barclayfication looks like's it's a well looked afted locomotive - as I intended. I might have liked a touch more 'matting' of the top of the boiler but didn't want to over-do it.
The Sirdar has come out well. I like the finish on the footplate and the way the boiler has a very light sheen contrasting to the smoke box. I might further accentuate this with a little polishing with a cotton bud.
Porthgain is another well looked after but care-work locomotive with patchy lining on the cylinders, clean cab and tank sides but accumulated much on the tank tops and boiler.
The Jung Cn2t is pretty clean, mainly a matted down roof and some dry brushed gun-metal on the edges which has worked a treat to bring this clean locomotive alive. It really needs some fuel in those cages now!
Finally the Davenport. Plain black is a difficult livery to pull off and I've still some way to go with this one - but the first wash or mucky brown on the chassis, dry brushing of gun-metal on edges and airbrushed dirt and soot have worked well in giving some tonal variation to otherwise a boring black surface.

More soon...

Comments