Estate railway rolling stock...

I began to panic last week that Creech Grange has a rather limited range of stock, especially considering 'exhibiting' it for a whole day could be quite tedious as it's just a simple oval...
With that in mind I've sourced a few extra Busch wagons and things are looking a little healthier! The total is now 2 Sand Hutton opens, 1 brake, 1 coach, 1 tipper, 1 fuel wagon and two opens... Which if the Avonside is finished will give me 2 18" steam locomotives and a range of stock to play with - as well as the Heywood train and the Ruston Proctor.

Above you can see the tipper, which is a 3D printed body I had spare from a H0e set I bought years ago on Shapeways. This has Minitrains supports from a spare wagon body grafted on. Quite effective in my opinion - it just needs finishing off now, probably in brown. I lost the steel link for this wagon so it cannot go behind my engines as I replace it with a bit of 0.4mm brass rod. The fuel wagon originally had two lovely white metal oil barrels but these proved too heavy so were replaced with the plastic Peco examples here. A cradle was made from 1mm square rod, and the strapping uses the pockets on the Busch chassis at each end. This needs painting, and potentially a pump of some description fabricating if time permits. I'm thinking blue for the barrels, if I can find a suitable colour.


Next up is a pair of flat wagons. These started out as just a sketch (see above). The top one is a wagon designed to transport cut/chopped logs, I will try and scratchbuild a load for it if time permits, otherwise it might just carry milk churns for now! The body is raised a little from the Busch frames so the wheels don't rub on the planking, which is just Slaters plastic sheet with Plasti-strut L section used for the struts at each end.
The final wagon is loosely inspired by the open wagons from Dalmunzie, to go with the open coach. In reality these were square framed and built by Motorail rather than the bow ended skip chassis I've used but I've added brake shoes and a handwheel from off cuts and N-brass hand wheels.
Both of these will have bare wood decks and metal work in matt black. I'm undecided on if the ends of the timber wagon will be bare or painted yet... more soon, I'm expecting the etches for the Avonside back this week!

Comments