A shed for Samson in 009: roof on...

Despite busily preparing for ExpoNG this week I've managed to spend a little time on the new engine shed...
First of all, a sketch of how I envisage the shed being situated, with a lamp hut and make shift water tank - I've started designing (another) new layout - and this will be the first structure for it. I'll share more on that once I've determined how to build the baseboard, and therefore what shape the layout will form...
So the shed is now fitted with a corrugated roof - I did wonder about a slate roof, but after doing one on the shed for Booths Siding (the other, currently not progressing, 009 project), I chickened out and went for a replacement corrugated roof. The building was originally a stable, and has been modified to be an engine shed, with the addition of the I beam over the door, and the brick extension on the back. I have also added a brick built chimney and weather boards on the gable end of the building.
The model is a lot more rigid and stable now - and I can finish off detailing. This will include lintels and window sill, framing on the inside of the doors, a ridge line on the roof, and some guttering in places, along with a door handle!
Finally, here is a posed shot on the workbench with the Narrow Planet Hudson Hunslet peering out of the shed with a few slate wagons around... which may give some indication of which way this project is leaning... More soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James, this looks great. For the tank, you could try an Ertl tanker from the Thomas range. They are the perfect size and have both strapping and rivet detail. I could probably post you one if you wanted?
    Harry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Harry - that is a very kind offer, and having looked one up (I didn't know what they looked like) look to be a useful little tank for similar purposes... however I have something in stock already from the Busch Feldbahn range (I used the bogies for something else). It's a little inspired by the ones at Beamish!

      Delete
    2. No problem.
      Are you building a model of 'Samson' the Stephen Lewin? Or am I putting 2 and 2 together and making 100?

      Delete
    3. It has crossed my mind Harry - although I'd probably make it more like the original than the recreation (which has larger wheels, and the proportions are slightly stumpier)... If the late Tony Peart can do that petrol tractor then I think Samson, or at least an approximation, might be possible in 009 or 006.5

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.