Tyneside Models Wren in 009...

My little boy was 6 a few weeks ago and has shown a real interest in both real and model railways (not really a surprise!) for years. For his birthday he asked for a kit engine, and quite specifically asked for 'Luke' from Thomas the Tank Engine...
As it happens, Luke is actually a Kerr Stuart Wren fitted with a full cab, just like the 3D print available on Shapeways from Tyneside Models. This simple model seemed like a good start for him, as he'd have to fit a roof, some pipework and bits of wire.
We sat down and worked together, he cut and shaped the roof with some help, we bent the wire for the cab front supports and sandpiper together, he cut and stuck the plasticard rod used for the safety valve. He then dusted the whole thing gently with primer under my watchful eye!
Once the chassis arrived, he wanted to get some colour on her, and here she is after I taught him about my airbrush and with a guiding hand he applied the Humbrol 131 to the model. Posed with my Brian Madge 'Winifred' (now with a little weathering) to show how tiny this model is and how well it sits on the small Japanese N gauge chassis. Next up we need to design some transfers for the lining and name, and then I'll get them made. More soon...

Comments

  1. Very nicely done . Have you ever considered adding modelling tutorials to your portfolio James. I’m sure a lot of adults would benefit from your skill base

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK James, I'm after some advice. I've got two of these in build for my Rails Round the Rectory build. But, and it is a big but, a lot of the character comes form the pipework on the firebox. Any ideas on how to fabricate that?

    Actually that bottom photo has proved really useful, because it highlights the gap above the cylinders that I hadn't realised I need to fill as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even for a pair of models, I would just scratch build from lengths of wire and styrene. These things are tiny, and the eye fills in the gaps so it just needs to be a representation. How much that requires is a balance, and something one learns over the years. I think I got it right on my Hunslet Waril all those years ago, and try to mimic that level of finesse on my 009 models these days.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.