Winifred in 009: finished...

Although I may add a touch more weathering, for now, 'Winifred' is complete. Built from a Brian Madge 'scratch-aid' kit, a touch more involved than his usual kits, she was a fun and challenging build and I'm happy with the finished result...
The model is based upon photos of her last days at the quarry, so I have removed the rivets from the smokebox and water tank castings. I have also added as much of the pipework and levers that I could from studying photos - a real labour of love, but well worth it now I've seen the completed model.
The couplings are from my 'Barclayfication' kit designed for the Minitrains Bohler. They are closer to the style fitted to Winifred than my usual RT Models Penryhn couplings. The name and works plates are lovely, and are just 'standard issue' Narrow Planet ordered straight from the website.
The lining was done using the new Fox N-gauge BR Mixed traffic lining, which although is grey/red rather than blue, is a good match from most distances. The grey and red are now separated so there is fine black line visible, a lovely finesse to these, and they're relatively easy to apply with patience, starting by adding the corners first and then measuring and fitting the straight lines between a few days later once they've dried.
I've not taken a low down shot because I've yet to devise a good way to hide the gap at the front of the chassis under the tank, I tried plastic but it looked awful. I might just resort to some black foam to stop the light passing through. In the meantime, she can sit looking pretty until I built a layout for her... More soon...

Comments