Dawson Creek in 009: a pair of Porters...

It's been some time since I shared anything about my North American outline 1:76 scale narrow gauge layout, this had been intended as a 'family' layout but things changed when I moved from Liverpool to North Wales and it's been in storage here ever since...
My son, who had a Minitrains diesel sold that to pay for a new Bachmann USA Rusty and he and my step daughter have built a micro layout for that and a few other items, and the hassle of getting Dawson Creek out of the cupboard has meant it's not seen the light of day for over a year...
However the locomotives have been hanging about my stock box and work bench for years and I finally decided to push the pair of Porter's to completion. Most of the work was to the Minitrains based model, which uses one of the firms 0-6-0st models married to a replacement cab I designed and is available on Shapeways.
First of all this needed handrails, foot step and sand pipes added to the boiler, all fabricated from brass, short handrail knobs and some off cuts of styrene. These were touched in with black paint before the model was then sealed with Dull-cote.
Once dry, I added glazing to the cab with 15thou Evergreen clear styrene, held in place with Humbrol Clearfix.
The original Porter, a steel cabbed model built from a Koala Creek kit on Shapeways (wooden cab / steel cab), was 'finished' but lacked glazing, so this too has had some made and fitted. The pair make an interesting comparison and look like an early and late model. I've got a pair of Granby style hoppers to work on for the layout next, and then I did promise myself a caboose... and perhaps think about some suitable coaching stock. More soon...

Comments