Warley 2019...

Well, what an adventure, Narrow Planet's second and my first trip to the NEC for what is considered by many to be 'the' show on the Model Railway calendar and I didn't know what to expect...
Steve (left) and Rob (right) on the NP stand on the corner opposite Gaugemaster and Kato, next to Mamod and across from Kernow.
The scale is staggering, it took two days really on and off the stand, to get around the whole hall, and even then I think I missed quite a lot of stuff out. I walked about and took photos of some modelling I liked (attached here) as well as stealing ideas of stand design and presentation from some of the other companies exhibiting for the NP stand in 2020.

The coolest thing we did over the weekend was get scanned over at Modelu - this means that Steve, Rob, Tom and I will all be appearing in miniature! It sounds really cheesy, and I felt very self concious dressed up being scanned, but when the figure appears on screen, it's just SOOO cool. Here you can see Alan scanning Steve...
and here the finished scan on the monitor...
...suffice to say I can't wait to get my hands on the finished models, hopefully before Christmas!

It was nice to meet some old friends, a few surprises and meet so many more of the public to talk about the kits I've designed, how they are intended to appeal to the newcomer and share hints tips and ideas on their construction. Thank you to everyone that came to say hello and buy things from us, it made the whole experience worth while.

In the bar and curry house plans were made for 2020 and the years ahead, and when the time comes I'll share more on that here - in the meantime I've started design work on the next Planet Industrials product, expecting prototype parts before Christmas, as well as ideas for models to develop in 2020. Looking further ahead it feels like plenty of opportunities for us (NP) ahead...

Anyway, enough of that onto the photos, sorry I don't know the names, it was a whistle stop, but I hope you enjoy the photos...
This US model was very impressive, great consistency in the model finish, although the lighting was less than ideal, being spots down the backscene that left the front of the model in shadow.
Probably my faavoutie layout, another HO American model based in Pennsylvania IIRC. Steam and early diesel, long trains, great presentation.
A very clever scene, scales reducing into the scene so that it appears much larger than it is...
I really liked the subtle colours of this continental H0 model that was also well lit.
Magnificent modelling in N gauge, perhaps the back scene view was a touch out of perspective in this view, but the model making and colour palette was very nice.
The Heljan Baldwin looks a significant improvement over the Manning Wardles, much finer details (feels much closer to the Bachmann Baldwin) and a chunky and strangely attractive prototype.
Model Rail had a picture of a Vale of Rheidol, but I was more interested in the Pannier, but no real news on that yet.
A large ) scale layout that I quite liked the colouring on, although the palette was a little too dark for my taste.

Llantrevelyn's last show, Adam and Tom's new layout Beddgelert will replace it - nice to see it one more time. 
The Tarrant Valley, a massive 009 masterpiece, maybe not the finest of modelling but consistent and the scale made up for it.
Loved the scenery on this 4mm scale layout, but not much going on.
More O scale, the layout didn't run that smoothly but I liked the Fowler diesel!
Quite a pretty scene and I can't resist the Hattons P-class, wonderful little model.
N gauge again, and well presented with a high backscene and good lighting. Nicely done overall, made the most of the scale for showing a lot more scenery and long trains.

Comments

  1. I've seen more good N gauge layouts in the last two or three years than I can ever remember seeing before. There were always a few good ones, but now they seem consistently good.

    Warley does cruelly "spotlight" both layout lighting and backscenes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.