Chatham Manning Wardle in 006.5...

One of the prototype systems that got me interested in 18" gauge, as well as the Sand Hutton, was the Royal Arsenal and it's varied locomotives. Further research pulled me into the world of tiny industrials and to me, the Manning Wardle locos typified the gauge like no other...
I had pondered doing one in the 006.5 range for some time but always felt the Arsenal prototypes to be a little long however in the Mark Smither's 18" gauge railways book was a drawing of one of the Chatham examples, which didn't have the fancy roof, was a touch shorter and had a cute dropped footplate...
So last year, actually in parallel to the Exmoor, the 3D artwork was produced and prototyped but it has taken until recently to draw up the 2D etch design. The prototype etch arrived before Christmas. I have just spend a few hours putting it together and noting the small changes that will be needed, all part of the process, and I'm really pleased with it - it captures the prototype for me perfectly and runs sweetly, as they all do, on the Busch chassis. Those with a battery RC inclination may be a little disappointed, or need to fabricate some wooden cab sheeting, as there is no where to hide a battery and receiver in the small saddle tank and open cab!
The prototype just needs couplings and a little detailing (brake stand, sand box levers) before priming and painting. I'm planning on an Easter release in the 6point5 range...

Comments