Friday Update: One Ten Twenty...

Well, back to work this week so the first Friday Update of 2020! Happy New Year to all, best wishes for a prosperous and sustainable year! It's been cold in my workshop but a mix of real and virtual progress on commissions and projects this week...
The Planet Industrials Barclay cab conversion etches are due back imminently which will mean the kit can be properly tested before release. This is the first we will produce entirely in the UK using a mixture of our own production equipment and long standing suppliers and we're excited to test the water with this initial release - further cab variations are planned for later in the year. Note, I am driving! Yes I painted the Modelu figure of myself over Christmas, just needs a few 'hi lights' to the face and jacket and then I'll seal with dull-cote.
A few personal projects I've been working on between commission and design work in the evenings, these 5 mineral wagons are all different models from Parkside (4) and Cambrian (1) and represent that ubiquitous all steel mineral. Copied from photos the 16t are destined for Rueben Brook whereas the larger 21t and 24t examples a colliery micro...
The etches for the Oxford AA3 brakeman ends are now painted and I've begun re-assembly of the model - test fitting the handrails after applying the transfers. These are from Cambridge and I'm not so happy on the thickness of the carrier film compared to Precision Labels whom I use for my own custom designs - the reason I went for the Cambridge sheet was the use of the GWR Script writting for 'Blaenau Festiniog (sic) Branch' that I would have trouble matching without tracing original lettering by hand in Graphic. However the rest of the sheet (another 10+ brake van allocations) are useless to me - it seems rather a waste. I will use my own designs from now on - like I did with the Trevor van, if you'd like a one off set then I can take a look. Note: I know the black panels (hand painted) need tidying up!
The build of the large scale Ruston 20DL has been completed - the cab controls (largely not visible in this shot) and the driver, plus the wiring for battery RC were the tasks this week - this model is now in primer, hardening up before painting starts next week.
I shared the work I've been doing on the Planet Industrials 'Hibberd' this week in an earlier post, I've also been working on another Devonport related project, an interpretation of the small 'cabins' used for the block instruments each end of the tunnel. This small building would be equally at home on an 009 narrow gauge layout so the plan will be to offer it as a kit in both ranges - not sure if it will be etched or laser cut wood/board yet - but the proof of concept is complete, so now needs working up once the material has been decided in to suitable artwork for either etching or cutting.
Finally, another teaser for the 006.5 range. The Manning Wardle will be out before Easter with luck, and so I do like to keep things moving with the small scale brand so here we have a pair of Theakston wagons based upon those used at Ravenglass, along with a Theakston 'Unique', a single cylinder loco heavy oil engine like the Ruston Proctor and Deutz but the 2ft gauge prototype had a central jackshaft driving the wheels through coupling rods - I've supposed an 18" version was produced with outside frames, and will use the LKM NS2 chassis from the Busch range. The basic concept work is done on this, but further work on the bonnet and etch design will be required.

It's been a slow week, hard to get going after a break, but lots to look forward to next week - a set of three 7/8ths scale wagons to paint as well as the Ruston, the Campagne loco-tracteur needs work - plus starting a 1/12 scale Whimshire creation along with design work for the next Planet Industrials kit, and in the meantime a weekend full of kids! I hope you all have a good weekend... More soon...


Comments