Hunslet 233hp in OO: Running trials...

One of the main points of the exercise of building this kit over Christmas was to polish some of my own model making skills not used for some years and prove to myself that I could get a compensated chassis to work successfully...
The model ready for running trials, note the wheels are painted but the axle nuts and rods have not been, as these may need removing during running trials.
To that end the kit has been a great success, and the completed model is smooth and quiet in operation and runs over Peco track as well if not better than a recent ready to run shunter. The proof is in the pudding, so they say, so I've put together a short video showing it run over a Peco short radius code 75 Y point that is not wired up for live frog, mated with Peco code 75 bull-head rail, a workable but less than ideal mix.


I hope the video goes some way to show what can be achieved with just hand tools and patience. I will be writing more articles on the process, and encouraging modellers to begin their own kits in the coming months. This is the first time I've used a video in this way on the blog, what do you think? Is it another thing I should consider when updating in future?

More soon...

Comments

  1. I remember a discussion I had a long time ago with someone about what type of kits beginners should be encouraged to try. They were of the old school cast body on a proprietory chassis way of thinking. For me it makes more sense to encourage someone to build a complete, well designed and accurate kit to instill good habits amd prove to themselves what is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed James, that is my intention with our next PI kit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.