Hunslet in 006.5: colouring it in...

The minimum gauge Hunslet is starting to look a little more finished now I've started to apply some colour...
This time I've gone for satin Humbrol 131 green for the body, and a brown chassis - this was my son's idea but has worked really well. I need to check it's still running smoothly because I also put a little paint on the coupling rods, but it all seems free moving enough.
It's amazing what a coat of paint can do - it's really brought it to life. The paint was a little thick in the airbrush so I'm not 100% satisfied with the finish but I hope I can smooth it over with some dull-cote before I add any weathering. The etched works plates and nameplates are on order with Steve. The driver figure will be painted and is a push fit in the cab so I can do photos with and without - which is a nice touch.
The loco looks quite big on it's own - when you put it with something else quite small, the Narrow Planet Bagnall, you see just how teeny it is really... definitely a petite 15-18" sized design.
Comparing to my original concept sketch, which was based on the proportions of Jack, it is a little shorter in the side tanks, but pretty close and I'm very happy. I may have accidently bought a Busch starter set and some extra track, with the NS2... I may be planning a Heywood style loco like Tim (Persistent Bodger)... More soon...

Comments