Musing over: Valve gear...

I've mentioned milestones in my modelling in the past, but tonight I honestly feel like I've surpassed them all this time, and conquered something that has put me off kit building steam engines for a very long time...
This evening I re-worked the incorrectly assembled connecting and piston rod, and cut out, cleaned up, reamed out, soldered up and pinned together the valve gear for one side of La Meuse. My word it's a test of my eye sight and incredible fiddly, but it's worth it, it looks superb! I can't believe the machines or workers in China/Taiwan who put this stuff together for a living, they must have some incredibly strong magnifiers, patience of a saint and good work tools.
So yes, there is still more to go on this side still - I've got to solder up the rocking link and return crank assembly which looks like it might be a pig, and I've still got the second side to do, but I'm on a high. I thought I could do it, but didn't dare hope I'd get it pretty much first time. Patience is a virtue, and I look forward to working on the kit again in a few days when my nerves are back!

Comments