A narrow gauge idyll: West Lancs Light Railway gala...

Today I visited the West Lancs Light Railway and my visit coincided with their gala event. This was my first visit to the line - it's a very bucolic short line that despite it's less than glamourous location has bags of character - a whole lot more than the longer, and on the face of it similar, Leighton Buzzard line...

Outside the station area are a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0WT and this Polish LAS 0-6-0T that are awaiting restoration.
 Both of the line's O&K well tanks were in steam, these are similar to my forthcoming Narrow Planet kit - although feature several design differences. Interesting this one was built in Germany whereas the second was actually built in Spain. Both saw use on an extensive coal mine railway in Spain.
The Kerr Stuart needs no introduction - the second time I've seen it I think and as ever immaculately turned out. I think I may need to get myself one of these at some point!


 As well as a frequent steam passenger service they also ran several demonstration freights along the line - top and tailed by a motley bunch of the lines working internal combustion locomotives.




All in all a lovely little railway with some interesting and well turned out locomotives and a friendly busy atmosphere today - I hope takings were good.

Comments