Deutz OMZ122 in 009: a lot of progress...

The Small Run Batch OMZ 122 has progressed quite quickly - so much so that there hasn't been time for progress photos...
The chassis is my first working brass kit chassis - and it runs! I am quite proud of that little fact, it's a little noisy and I made a few little errors but it runs, smoothly, slowly and has already improved with just limited running in. The fly cranks are the most fiddly aspect - these are laminated from 3 sections - but in the end they paled into insignificance with the fiddliness of adding the overlays to the body...
The body makes use of detail overlays for extra fine details - I used 145degC solder and Carrs green flux to make sure these went on cleanly - and I cleaned up any excess solder with files, wet and dry and a fibre glass brush. I fitted the exhaust stack, but not the air filter as the prototype I'm modelling does not have one...
I then cleaned up the body from flux and gave it a coat of primer - it shows the effort in cleaning up excess solder was worth it as the overlays are on cleanly. The cab isn't perfect, the cab front is a little bent forwards - but I'm happy.
Compared to the Brian Madge Ruston and Minitrains Gmeinder, the Deutz is a beast! This isn't much surprise as the prototype was available from 600-1000mm.
So what next? I need to nail the last few details before adding some top coat to the pair! More soon...

Comments

  1. Hi. Lovely job. I am researching this loco's big brother, the standard gauge version, and came across your excellent blog. I worked on the Sintra tramway in Portugal, and we had a large Deutz in the works fleet. It had been built as a standard gauge loco, regauged to Iberian (5'6")for work in the Lisbon docks, then regauged again to metre, working on the Leixões docks, then sold in 1955 to the Sintra tramway. I suspect it is the last of its class to be continuously active over its long and varied career. I am hoping to model it in G scale. I also have plenty of photos of it in action, but can's see a way of sending you the photos. If you are interested, maybe you could let me know. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.