Simplex 40S in 7/8ths: weathering...

Lifting a pristine finish of a model to the work worn lustre of a real locomotive is something I aspire to with all my models but this scratchbuilt Simplex has posed a few new challenges.
 Working in such a large scale is new to me but I fell back on my time learnt technique of studying prototypes, before using oil paints to wash in oil and grease build up, dry brush burnished metal and powders to represent spilt sand. The latter from my recently rediscovered collection of Mig weathering powders.
I don't think it's finished yet - so I've not sealed it, but it is a good start. One big decision is whether to add a number to it, I'd pondered about a stencilled affair on the front of the bonnet, rather than the sides. It also needs a tool box of some description on the foot plate.
There is always more to do, but I'd like to make a start properly on more stock, so it might stay like this for a few weeks. More soon... 

Comments