Canal Street Wharf: scenic steps...

After a busy week, today was the first day I had chance to sit down at my workbench, and so I decided to move Canal Street Wharf a few steps closer to completion...
It's still quite a long way to go, but I do enjoy the scenic work, so it's all good fun. First of all, I have weathered the caravan, well started to weather it... I sprayed dull-cote on, when dry I used a green wash from Games Workshop, and wiped it off as it dried. I then added further detail painting with the same wash as dribbles from the rain strips and around the windows.
I have also begun to paint the buildings, here you can see the first coat of white on the window frame and the roof (corrugated asbestos) painting of the base colours. I mixed Humbrol 64 and 110 in varying proportions and painted a sheet at a time, to give a bit of variation. Here you can also see I've begun to add fencing, a signpost and a gate to this side of the layout.
Here you can see the foot bridge, this is rescued from my childhood layout, my Dad built it for a small stream on the branchline. I remember him building it, so it's nice to re-use it on this layout.
This shot of a deserted wharf is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to recreate, and there is more detail to add, but the colours and setting are beginning to look right to me. Finally, a shot of the store, which has also been painted with Humbrol 64 mixed with 110, to appear as concrete with an asbestos roof. I used Humbrol Matt 30 for the gutters, doors and windows. This will need some more weathering.
More soon...

Comments