Friday Update: Thirteen Three Twenty...

Unlucky for some, Friday 13th hey, well with Covid-19 threatening humanity somehow the small world of my workshop feels like a sanctuary at the moment...

I've been busy finishing off some large scale weathering and painting commissions this week - the second of the 7/8ths scale Simplex and a Penrhyn brake van. These will have their own dedicated posts later today, but they've been good fun being so large, and I've said it before, getting a subtle weathered finish on large scale items is a real labour of love.

The brake van features faded and flaking paint on the wooden cab, rust and dirt on the tank and under frame, road dirt on each end and some moss along the bottoms of the windows, all added with paint effects added AFTER the final painting - these are all additive processes, not subtractive or difference. I think the results speak for themselves, I'm really really happy with the balance in the finish, it would have been easy to go overboard.

The armoured Simplex has taken even longer and several times I've been ready to strip it and start again but the multi-layered finish, and repeat re-visiting over two weeks has resulted in a real depth to the weathering that woiuqn't be possible if things had gone exactly to plan - in my experience it is knowing what to correct, and what to leave when things go wrong that is the making of a finish, and the way the old Revell paint reacted to dull-cote right at the beginning nearly had me stripping it, however I've used the patchy nature of some of the paintwork to advantage, looking as if it's faded and almost washing off...
Next up, I've been working on the prototype Planet Industrials kit of the late style Barclay cab, as widely used on NCB examples. This is very similar to the Devonport example, but has different style windows, side openings and slightly smaller roof overhangs. I've finished this prototype as the Tanfield's No.22 with custom designed red lining with yellow lettering, matched exactly to the prototype by hand drawing and adjusting the lettering. Once she's had a few days to harden I'll dull-cote the bodywork before weathering.
The 1/12 scale (ish) Whimshire steam locomotive has been fully assembled now with a cab and footsteps now secured, and the wiring all tidied up. The on/off toggle visible in these shots will be painted to disguise it, it's position helps with operation. 
The model has been primed now and the customer has selected an apple green, I've chosen the Doncaster shade as it's a touch more yellow in hue to my eye, and will suit the model nicely, combined with some dark red lining to the tanks and lower cab panel. Etched nameplates have been ordered from Narrow Planet and the window spectacles polished up, and some clear acrylic lasered to be an exact fit in each opening.
Next week should see the Barclay and Whimshire finished - I've also made a good start on the Polish Lyd2 build, and we will have more prototype Planet Industrials parts and kits to share. Stay healthy, and avoid the shows this weekend if I were you. More soon...

Comments