Friday Update: Twenty Three Twenty...

Work continues here on my workbench despite the worlds troubles, and progress on projects in 4 different scales, three different materials and at different stages...
First up, a ex Polish, Romanian built behemoth that now lives at Porthmadog... the Welsh Highland Heritage Railways Lyd2. Combining the 009 version of the Worsley Works body with a custom designed chassis (seen on a previous Friday update) that uses a Grafar 08 as a donor, this week I've assembled the etched brass body. This isn't complicated but is a little tricky, and it probably isn't for the first time builder - Allan's WW kits are an excellent scratch aid resource - with that in mind I've got a lot of details to add, including the Lyd2 detailing parts I designed available on Shapeways.
Steve and I are excited to announce the second version of our Hibberd Planet kit is now available, featuring the same multimedia approach suited to the modeller new to locomotive kit building. This version includes a shunters front step and a choice of cab style for £83 (kit only) or £123 (supplied with the required Tenshodo chassis) both including free UK delivery. From today we are offering a 10% discount to both new and existing customers on all Planet Industrials products available through the Narrow Planet Marketplace, enter the code 'GOINDUSTRIAL' at check out, available through to the end of March.
I've put together the Alan Keef K12 in 7/8ths from parts I designed and had laser cut in acrylic and styrene. This uses a compact drive that fits under the floor leaving the body clear for just housing the batteries, radio gear and in this case a 3D printed Lister engine from the SLR models range...
Everything fits, just, despite it being a tight squeeze - the K12 is tiny compared to my other Alan Keef. This one will be painted in the same 'Keef' bright orange - and I plan to design transfers for the distinctive 'K' diamond logos on the cab and bonnet.
The Devonport Barclay kit in the Planet Industrials range has spawned an offspring, this NCB version will be available in the range later this year but I've had two commissions, one to design and supply some cabs direct to a customer (which caused the project to be leap frogged up the list) and then another to assemble and finish one in the NCB livery of No.22 from the Bowes museum - shown above, complete with custom designed transfers I worked from original photos to match the sigh written lettering, weathered, glazing fitted and now just waiting on etched works plates.
The Whimshire model is coming along as well - and has had a coat of green paint - this purports to be LNER Doncaster green, although in the photo looks a bit too green, in reality it's a touch yellower and darker than shown here - but it's causing my customer and I to tick-tack on what is required and it may end up resprayed in a custom colour. Once finalised though, all the other parts are ready to allow completion quite quickly, and I'm excited to get some black paint on the relevant bits as I think it will bring it to life quite quickly.
Finally, something new... what is it? It's a chassis design - for a push together no solder 0-4-0 using Romford axles, flywheel drive, etched phosphor bronze pick ups and including compensation on the un-driven axle. I need to add some more detail, including locating pips for brake shoes, and slots and tabs for the etched foot plate - but it looks like the concept should work. I'm not ready to share which prototype this is going under, but it's a key British built locomotive, somewhat an 'end of an era' model. 

I hope that despite the current world situation my little slice of modelling trivia is a welcome distraction. If I can help with a model, provide a proposal for a commission or offer some advice then get in touch. More soon...



Comments