Commission: GE 70t in S-scale...

American S scale (1:64) is a new one to me, but this lovely Smoky Valley kit found it's way to my workbench from a customer in Canada. My customer asked me to put the basic kit together, and will be painting and priming the model at a later date...
The kit consists of a one piece body, and one piece chassis frame - plus a lot of lovely details and wire and rod for the handrails. My kit had a pair of North West Short Line bogies, which seem very nicely put together - and the whole model was well thought out with good part fit.

The resin is presumably vacuum formed as the detail is so crisp you'd swear it was injection moulded. I found it worked well with simple hand tools. The chassis needed a little modification to allow the bogies to be fitted - and some of the machining of the brass weight inserts wasn't present.
Grabs and foot board brackets were formed using a neat template, the handrails were soldered up in-situ following the well written instructions. It's a meaty scale, it has a lot more mass than H0 scale, obviously - it almost feels O like in it's mass, but obviously isn't anywhere near as large.
I am happy to work with kits of any type or material, any scale, any material - contact me if you've one in your drawer you'd like me to turn into reality for a no obligation individual personal proposal based upon your exact requirements. The Facebook page, contact form or forums are all welcome. In the meantime, more soon...

Comments

  1. I've wondered before how those kits would convert to 1:55 NG...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just beautiful. I've seen this kit before but the earlier version I had seen used a modified truck from a HO scale Athearn diesel - an alternative I quite liked compared to the NWSL trucks.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, if I were doing it now I’d tackle a little. Ore detailing having studied the prototype more extensively for my own H0 model. However, it’s a great kit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.