Another mad cap scheme...

Another mad-cap scheme... or the lure of the Judith Edge kit!

I've long held a fascination with parts of the Manchester Ship Canal railway, the stub at Ellesmere Port and the network around Trafford Park. In the early days of planning Paxton Road it was a line that inspired some early sketches as to what this could look like and gave some direction to a layout that has gradually evolved into a completely different area and subject! Such is modelling fiction.
Ian Fleming (http://windcutter.wordpress.com/)

A chance browsing of the RMWeb forum and seeing Halfwit's blog on the Steelman Royale taking shape and I found myself back on Fotopic searching out the snaps of the Manchester Ship Canal railway's Sentinel shunters.

I've not build a proper etched brass kit before - only brass chassis packs and one white-metal kit in my teens. I'm a little apprehensive about taking the plunge but a speculative email has been sent off to Judith Edge to check kit availability.

So where does this project fit with all the others? Paxton Road is going to still be finished. Most of my modern stock will stay OO and for now this will be a great layout to use them on. Rose Hill is a foray into P4 and is proving to be worthwhile in polishing my whole range of layout building skills and I'm really enjoying it. Neither is the place for a Sentinel...

Leading us to the only sensible outcome! A third layout - probably in 2011, probably VERY small (1x4 or so) to fit in my study. DCC and P4 so the Sentinel can be fitted with lights (and sound maybe?!) and P4 to try my hand at point building.

In the meantime we'll see whether a box from Judith Edge arrives - and if I can keep it shut long enough to finish the other layouts!

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Interesting to read your comments about having an independent blog. Pleased that my Trafford Park photo from 'old Rmweb' is of use - any chance of the courtesy of a credit for it, please?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is a dead project really - but absolutely no problem for a credit if you let me have your name and a web-address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry James, hadnt realised that it wouldnt appear automatically, this profile isnt set up the same as a forum. It's Ian Fleming, the image isnt available digitally other than on Rmweb but you could perhaps note it as Ian Fleming/Windcutter (my Wordpress blog).
    Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Done :) No problem Ian, I'll take a look at your blog later :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah ... 'bout time I had some new content!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.