A day out with an old friend...

Last night I stumbled across the Welshpool and Llanfair Twitter account (@llanfairline)...

Unofficial confirmation that Joan would be on the service trains today. Those that remember my early posts on the G-scale blog (http://ejklr.blogspot.com) will remember many moons ago I visited the line and that Joan holds special memories for me, so the chance to ride behind her on a relatively quiet day, with reasonable weather was too good an opportunity to miss...

So Elly and I packed a lunch, loaded up the S3 and drove over to Welshpool and spent the day on the friendly, and surprisingly busy 11.15 departure to Llanfair, back to Welshpool about 2pm. From the ticket man who joked with Elly about her teddy, to the young trainee fireman who let us on Joan's footplate, we had a lovely day.

Some photos below but the trip has inspired two models, infact probably the next two 009 projects...

First up, the hedge trimmer! I'll get a Zillertal transporter wagon and see if I can track down a suitable tractor load, and scratchbuild the hedge trimmer attachment, should be a relatively heap, but fun little project...

Secondly, my first steam engine project - although ideally I'll wait until the Five79 etched brass bodykit is ready rather than the old Chivers whitemetal one, Joan herself...

So home now, with an evening of relaxation, a little modelling on Wasp, and a cold beer and a film with my lovely wife!

Welshpool and Llanfair with Joan, 28/4/2012

Comments